Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Washington On The Steps

SETTING: 2000's, Present day academia.

     [Two college students, Chip and Neville, sit outside the library on the front steps,
       going over the day's dose of American History.]


Neville: ...so, Washington got his butt kicked in New York by the British, he ran all the way
            through New Jersey. But then he turns around, marches right across the Delaware
            River and proceeds to take Trenton and Princeton.
Chip:    That's what that famous painting of Washington's about, right?
Neville: Yeah, I think so. Oh, hey, did you know that painting was painted by a Brit?
Chip:     No shit?
Neville:  No shit.
Chip:     Hmph! I'll be damned. [Scribbles in his notebook.] And that is the end of that...!
Neville:  Sweet!
Chip.     Well, until Wednesday. Hey! Speaking of....what are you doing Monday?
Neville:  Workin'.
Chip:      You're not off for Preseident's Day?
Neville:  Personally, I think you should only observe it if you like the current President.
Chip:     [Laughing.] What?
Neville:  Think about it. Why would anyone want to observe or honor a presdent that
             they didn't like?
Chip:     Dude, I think it's in honor of previous Presidents.
Neville:  Actually, it was originally intended to celebrate Washington's Birthday, now that
             you mention it, thankyouverymuch. In fact, congress put it into law at one time.
Chip:     [Sarcastically.] That's awesome, man, but you don't get paid for telling me this
             crap after 12:00 p.m..
Neville: [Smirking.] Anyways, I just happen to think that I've had enough with having to
            observe the current president for the past three years. I'm ready for some good
            ole' fashioned disregard!
Chip:    Yeah! [Pumps his fist in the air.]
Neville:  Besides, it's presidents plural, not president's possessive.
Chip:    [Unflinchingly.] Actually, sir, it's either one or both.
Neville: Oh yeah? How do you know?
Chip:    Wikipedia. [Shakes his cellphone in his hand.]
Neville: [Rolling his eyes.] I should've known.
Chip:    Yeah, well, as interesting as all this is....
Neville: Time to make the roofies?
Chip:    That's rght! Time to make the roofies. No, seriously. I got to go.
Neville: Ok, man. I'll see you in class on Tuesday I guess.
Chip:    Sounds good. Thanks, man.
Neville: Yup.
Chip:    Oh! Before I forget....[Hands Neville some money.]
Neville: Cool! Thanks.
Chip:    Yup. [Waves.]

[Exit Chip.]

No comments:

Post a Comment