Thursday, August 4, 2011

Flibbertigibbetry

Flibbertigibbetry. noun, (flib-buhr-ti-jib-bi-trē)
   -tries, plural
   -trous, adjective
   -tral, adjective  

Say it with me. It's a word I made up. It's a silly word derived from the term flibbertigibbet, which refers to a person who gossips and otherwise tells silly things. I made up this word because I needed a word to describe how I was feeling at a particular moment. It's true that this word is silly, and I do, indeed, feel a bit silly at the moment. But it embodies the spirit of how i am feeling, methinks. I don't expect anyone to include flibbertigibbetry in the next editions of the Oxford English Dictionary much less Webster's Pocket Dictionary (the "wide" version, for people with big butts so that their pockets are big enough to carry it at leisure). But it suits my purpose right now and perhaps in the future. That's all the reason I need, and if you and I ever have a conversation then I will be sure to try to use it to give it some relevance.

Invino Veritas
8/4/11
EOF

(p.s. I'm bored at work. What did you expect?)

No comments:

Post a Comment