Monday, August 8, 2011

Cheese Wheel In The Sky Keeps On Turning Green

The day started as any other day - an annoying buzz from my alarm clock, a mental cursing, and of course a song popped into my head. I have been spending the last few weeks searching for new bands that I like using the Last FM website and their "Fire.fm" Firefox Extension, and have found several cool bands that are relatively unknown such as U.S. Christmas, Black Math Horseman, and Torche. I have a pretty wide range of musical interests. On any one day, my track list may include anything from Hank Williams, Jr to Slayer to Sinatra and Duke Ellington. Needless to say however, the last few weeks have been characterized by some interesting musical starts to my day(s). But what made today mental music selection different was it chose not only a pretty cheesy band but a pretty damned  cheesy song. I quickly realized much to my mild dismay that this was also a band and song that I have in my 10,000 song catalog on my external hard drive. (Yes, I KNOW some of you have larger catalogs. I'm working on it!) Against my better judgment, I will bear my soul unto thee. I will tell you the name of this band that I like, no matter what the consequences of its cheese and the repercussions of its unleashing upon the world.

Loverboy.

Yes, it's true. I said Loverboy.

As this revelation struck me completely strange this morning, I had to let out a bit of a chuckle as I rose from my bed to greet the rest of the day. "Hmph, Loverboy, eh? Weeeeelllll, allrighty then!" I said to myself. I had a bit of a time resisting the mental preparations of the  impending Monday workday. To complicate this, my CD player in my car actually worked for once this morning, and I was soon flooded with the groovy goodness of Jamiroquai for the entire ride. But this need to listen to some Loverboy was a persistent need. After all, I had to get this wonderful cheese out of my head. Since about 8:45 a.m., I've been listening to Loverboy. Currently, it's 11:40 a.m. Get the picture?

2:54 p.m.

Ok, a good lunch break seemed to break the madness that was the Loverboy Tsunami. Apparently, the key is a Gyro and ten Cajun spiced wings. Who would've thunk it?

Anyways, now I'm back on track, or at least following a similar path to the past few weeks. The band I'm listening to is one I kind of like called Ancestors. No "The", just  Ancestors. They are a stoner rock band that sometimes do these dreamy sort of piano and violin instrumental arrangements. (I recommend the album 'Of Sound Mind'.) According to their bio at Teepee Records, they worked with some guy from The Melvins. They are pretty good stuff. When I listen to stuff like this, I feel like I'm 19 again and just starting to hang out with college kids. Except that would have probably been grunge and what was otherwise called "college rock" and (retch!) Alternative.

Man, I really HATE that term 'alternative'; It made absolutely no sense as every 'alternative' band sounded different. I mean, really? You're going to tell me that Soundgarden and Alice in Chains sounded the same?

Anyways, I've worn myself out. On to some Siena Root. Enough blogging.

Don't you have something to do?

Like, get me a taco?

Invino Veritas
8/8/11
EOF


No comments:

Post a Comment