Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jacksonian-Veritasian Theory and Distilled Liquor

I often find when I have spikes in my creative awarenss and output, I find it helpful, if not entertaining, to visit the local watering hole to discuss my ideas with some interesting people. Last night was one such time, and I decided to visit my usual choice for such things, OV. I wasn't disappointed. I had recently organized in my brain where I wanted to go with the Story of Dalmar on my other blog, Bucholera, and after a long day of work I was ready to relax. As it seems to be characteristic of the last few weeks, my mind was also flipping back and forth between random things and Physics of the universe. On the drive into town, I was thinking how nice i would be if I was able to see Jackson, my partner in theoretical crime as it would be, sitting at OV when I got there. Well, as fate would have it, he indeed was there, not waiting for me, but right on time.

Without having to ask, I sat down and was handed a beer to start the evening of relaxation and fanciful conversation with a greeting. I made my greeting, and mentioned that it was great to see Jackson, if not for the sheer enjoyment of his company, but because something in my mind made me hope he was around while I was driving home from work. We had a laugh at strange coincidence that everything seemed to work out the way I had hoped. After all, how often does it work out so perfectly? Again, right on time, soon we were in our long conversations regarding the theories of relativity and the speed of light, and things of quantum particle physics. I really like these conversations because it's something we are both interested in discovering, and Jackson certainly has a more formal background on these things. He has a tendency to keep me from straying towards the ridiculous while allowing me to maintan an Ad Ignorantium approach. Of course, the alcohol has a way of making it even more interesting, too.

An hour or so went by, and the enthusiasm of the conversation subsided as each of us either got burnt out after a bit, or we backed ourselves into a wall with our theories and ideas. Perhaps, it was both. Who could tell? It was about that time that another mutual friend of our's, Kris, came in and said hello. This only served as medium for transition to other things. Little did I realize, that transition revealed itself to be the representatives of a relatively new product of liquor called Rhythm. Rhythm is a liquor that is made from distilled alcohol and the juices of fruits that are rejected from grocery stores. The skeptic in me is quick to say 'Oh, so it's the retarded fruit that nobody wants!" But I quickly ctach myself, and give them the benefit of the doubt that it's simply a measure of the quality standards set by the grocery stores. Rhythem is red, and it comes in a clear bottle. It's really a sort of 'froo-froo' drink. One of the representantives took over the bar in front of Jackson and me, and began concocting these prefabrications of shots and mixed drinks. His inventions weren't half bad, and they were indeed sweet like Kool-Aid and alcohol. But this is not measure of such a drink is best observed without dilution. So, naturally, Jackson and I had a straight shot of Rhythm.

Indeed, Rhythm was distilled alcohol. That was clearly evident when I took the straght shot. It reminded me of everclear and Kool-Aid, though at 70 proof (10 proof lower than standard US liquors such as whiskey and vodka), it did'nt bite or burn quite to that degree. Still, a bit of burn was detected. Our drink mixer from Rhythm made note that the liquor shouldn't give us a hangover, and that his experiences concurred with that theory. I have to admit, I did not have a hangover this morning, it's true. But I must take into account that I am an experiened drinker, too, and wouldn't allow myself to get to that point on a Tuesday anyways. Rhythm reminds me of something that, I think, wa concocted in the 80's if not pror to the 80's that I grew up knowng as 'Whoop Juice'. Traditonaly as I was growing up, it was simple either Everclear and Kool-Aid or Vodka and Kool-Aid. Pretty simple stuff. But in the years after, it transformed into things a bit more uncertain and complicated as the desire for adolescents to get drunk went through its metamorphosis. Nowadays, it could mean almost anything depending upon where you are and where you first tried it.

After about four(ish) shots of Rhythm in all its "glory ", it was time to work towards the door. I generally try to get out of those type of places around 8:00 p.m. if I find myself there during the week. That leves me enough time to have some fun, exhaust it, and get home with enough time to wind down and get to sleep. As fate would have it, once again, that is exactly what happened in the end. But I was still half a beer away from my exit when Kris came back and joined us for a drink. Kris is a pretty busy guy, and I don't get to say 'hi' to him often. After a few moments, I got up and left for home. Two pepperoni sandwiches and a couple of episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation streamed from Netflix later, I went to bed, thus concluding the night activities. Needless to say, I had no problems getting to sleep.

In summary, I had a pretty good night last night. I might even say I had a better night than I would have foreseen. I walked out of OV with a ten dollar tab and got four shots and four beers. I'd say that's a really economical way to drink. That's a significant reason why I drink there. The other significant reason is because I enjoy the company of the people who work there and hang out there, evidenced by the chance meeting and conversations with Jackson and Kris. I certainly wouldn't expect to spend as little elsewhere in town, and more to the point, I would expect to be able to talk particle physics with anyone for any amount of time at those places. But then again, who, in their right mind, would expect that anyways? That might be insane. But then again, just when we tend to think we know everything about the universe, it sidesteps as we go whizzing by it, missing its interaction by several kilometers.

Until, next time....

Enjoy.

Invino Veritas
7/27/11
EOF

No comments:

Post a Comment